The code of the Town of LaGrange Law Chapter 83-7 “Building Permits” requires that any work which shall require conforming to the Uniform Code and/or the Energy Code of New York State shall not commence with the erection, construction, enlargement, alteration, removal, improvement, demolition, conversion or change in the nature of the occupancy of any building or structure or cause the occupancy of any building or structure without a resident obtaining a separate building permit from the Office of Building Inspector for each such building or structure.

Workers compensation insurance is required for all building permits with exceptions as provided by the NYS Worker’s Compensation Board. Accord forms are not an acceptable proof of Workers  compensation insurance. Workers compensation insurance forms can only be obtained by the persons insurance carrier.  

Click on the name below to download the permit package in PDF Format

Fees: Please contact the Building & Zoning Department for all Current Permit Fees at 845-452-1830

Residential: (Please note that if you ARE NOT the Owner when applying for a permit, you MUST FILE the Owner’s Endorsement Form.)

Commercial: (Please note that if you ARE NOT the Owner when applying for a permit, you MUST FILE the Owner’s Endorsement Form.)

The following permits may be necessary to obtain a building permit for new construction, specifically new single family residences and new commercial buildings and structures. For your convenience, these permits are provided below.

Please be advised that these permits are regulated by other agencies within the Town of LaGrange.

Secretary to the Administrator of Planning and Public Works, Wanda Livigni, is Dwayne Hicks, and may be reached at 845-452-8562 Email:

Work shall remain accessible and exposed until inspected and accepted by the Building Inspector or by an inspector authorized by the Building Inspector. The permit holder shall notify the Building Inspector when any element of work under §83-8B is ready for inspection.


The following elements of the construction process shall be inspected, where applicable:

  • Work site prior to the issuance of a building permit (commercial)
  • Footing and foundation
  • Preparation for concrete slab
  • Framing
  • Building systems, including plumbing, heating, air conditioning, ventilation, electric, underground and rough-in
  • Fire resistant construction (commercial)
  • Fire resistant penetrations (commercial)
  • Solid-fuel-burning heating appliances, chimneys, flues or gas vents
  • Energy Code compliance (commercial)
  • Electrical Inspection by third party inspectors recognized by the Town of LaGrange
  • A final inspection after all work authorized by the building permit has been completed

A certificate of occupancy shall be required for any work which is the subject of a building permit which is for structures or portions thereof to be occupied by persons and for all structures, buildings or portions thereof which are converted from one use or occupancy classification or sub-classification to another. Permission to use or occupy a building or structure, or portion thereof, for which a building permit was previously issued shall be granted only by issuance of a certificate of occupancy.

Certificates of compliance shall be required for all work which is subject to a building permit but which is not for structures or portions thereof to be occupied by persons such as for mechanical installations and the construction of sheds.

The following is a list of specific forms for certificates of occupancy and compliance:

  • Certificate of occupancy (new residence only)
  • Certificate of compliance (commercial)

The building office keeps and maintains the property and building records for all parcels of land located within the Town of LaGrange.


Municipal Record Search- contact Joanna Jackson at 845-452-1830 ext 122.

Below is the form to request a municipal record search:

Municipal record searches (.pdf)

Property records may contain any or all of the following information and documents:

  • Certificates of Occupancy
  • Building permits
  • Construction plans and specifications
  • Correspondence regarding the property
  • Property surveys
  • Health Department information
  • Driveway permits
  • Violations
  • Water and Sewer permits
  • Special Use permits
  • Use permits
  • Sign permits
  • Zoning variances
  • Flood zone information

The Building, Zoning & Fire Prevention Department is responsible for the oversite of Building Construction & Development in the Town of LaGrange to ensure compliance with Federal, State, and Local Codes regulating land use as set forth by the Town Board. Because the process of working with the Building, Zoning, and Fire Prevention Department can be complex, please do not hesitate to call us with any questions or concerns. We will be happy to assist you.

Office of the Building Inspector

The Building Code is intended to provide minimum requirements to safeguard public safety, health and general welfare through structural strength, means of egress facilities, stability, sanitation, adequate light and ventilation, energy conservation and safety to life and property from fire and other hazards attributed to the built environment.

Secretary to the Building Inspector, Savona Roberts, may be reached at 845-452-1830 ext 114

Building Inspector, Ken McLaughlin

Take Notice:

  • Building inspections cannot be scheduled on-line
  • Applications will not be accepted on-line
  • Original documents cannot be transmitted on-line

Office of Zoning Administration & Enforcement

The intent of Zoning is to establish controls for the development of land in the Town in order to promote and protect health, safety, comfort, convenience, and the general welfare of the residents of the Town of LaGrange.
Deputy Zoning Administrator, Justin Noyes, may be reached at 845-452-1830 ext 136.

Below is a list of the documents & information provided by this office:

For a review of a proposed use to a residential or commercial property, a Statement of Use is required:

In some instances these permits may require Planning Board action:

Zoning complaints should be directed to Justin Noyes, Deputy Zoning Administrator at 845-452-1830 ext. 136.

Procedure for Handling Complaints

Complete Zoning Complaint Form

Once a complaint has been received, the Deputy Zoning Administrator:

  • Carries out a site inspection to verify the nature of the complaint
  • Sends a letter advising the property owner of the zoning vi0lation(s) and requesting compliance with the code
  • Sends an Order to Remedy Violation
  • If no satisfactory resolution has been achieved, send a second and final Order to Remedy Violation
  • If there is still no resolution, Issue an appearance ticket to appear in Town Court 

Although all complaints are handled in a timely manner, those that involve life safety are given the utmost priority. It is not the policy of the town to release complainants’ names unless a prosecution is required to resolve the issue.

What zoning district am I in?

 There are various residential and commercial zones. To help you find yours you will need to provide us with one of the following sources of information: – Parcel Grid No. – 911 address – Owner of record


What are my setback requirements?

 Depends on the zone you are in. (Chapter 240-28)


 Do I need a permit for a shed?  

If a shed (without electricity) is no larger than 120 square feet and height, width and length of no more than 12’, a permit is not required and the shed can be placed as close as 5’ from the side and rear yard property lines. (Chapter 240-47)


Can I subdivide my property? 

Only if you have enough property to create lots which will meet all the minimum bulk regulations (Chapter 240-28)


Can I change my zone? 

Re-zoning is requested specifically to the Town Board. It requires extensive review for compatibility with the Master Plan


Does the Town have a survey of my property? 

It depends. There will be a survey if a house has been recently built. For older homes we will have a survey if the homeowner has provided one to us


What is the procedure for obtaining a Variance?

Apply for a building permit, Receive a denial letter from the Code Enforcement Officer, Fill out the Variance application form and submit with fee. The Town posts ZBA agendas in the Poughkeepsie Journal and notifies all property owners within 150’ of affected property for an area variance and within 500’ for a use variance Attend ZBA meetings for discussion and public hearing, ZBA makes a decision.


What is an Area Variance? 

An Area Variance is seeking relief from the dimensional requirements required by the zoning ordinance.


What is a Use Variance? 

A Use Variance is seeking relief from uses that are not permitted by zoning.


Do I need a permit to erect a fence? 

No. There are also no setback requirements for a fence. However, The fence shall be on the owner’s property Fence must not exceed 6 feet in height above the adjoining grade


Do I need a permit to run a business out of my house? 

Only if what is proposed meets the definition of a “Home Occupation” (Chapter 240-54)


Why wasn’t I notified that my neighbor is building a house, pool, deck, etc.? 

No notification is made unless the proposed structure requires a Variance or a Special Use Permit in which case abutting and adjacent property owners are notified prior to a Public Hearing on the matter. You may wish to view this website monthly for agendas for both the Zoning Board of Appeals and the Planning Board for more information.

Office of Fire Prevention

The purpose of the Fire Code is to establish the minimum requirements consistent with nationally recognized good practice for providing a reasonable level of life safety and property protection from the hazards of fire, explosion or dangerous conditions in new and existing buildings, structures and premises.

  • Administration and enforcement of the Fire Code and Property Maintenance code of the State of New York
  • Perform required life safety/fire inspections on all commercial and nonresidential structures and issue certificates of fire inspection
  • Investigate and act on complaints regarding the Fire Code of the State of New York
  • Plan review of commercial and nonresidential buildings and site development
  • Provide assistance to design professionals, builders, officials, residents and other interested parties on code compliance
  • Educate the public in life/safety and fire prevention
  • Respond to fires and other emergencies when requested by Dutchess County 911
  • Permitting
  • Fire codes

Kenneth McLaughin