The intent of Zoning is to establish controls for the development of land in the Town in order to promote and protect health, safety, comfort, convenience, and the general welfare of the residents of the Town of LaGrange.

Below is a list of the documents & information provided by this office:

For a review of a proposed use to a residential or commercial property, a Statement of Use is required:

In some instances these permits may require Planning Board action:

Zoning complaints should be directed to Sarah Davis, Zoning Administrator at 845-452-1830 ext. 137.

Procedure for Handling Complaints

Complete Zoning Complaint Form

Once a complaint has been received, the Deputy Zoning Administrator:

  • Carries out a site inspection to verify the nature of the complaint
  • Sends a letter advising the property owner of the zoning vi0lation(s) and requesting compliance with the code
  • Sends an Order to Remedy Violation
  • If no satisfactory resolution has been achieved, send a second and final Order to Remedy Violation
  • If there is still no resolution, Issue an appearance ticket to appear in Town Court 

Although all complaints are handled in a timely manner, those that involve life safety are given the utmost priority. It is not the policy of the town to release complainants’ names unless a prosecution is required to resolve the issue.

What zoning district am I in?

 There are various residential and commercial zones. To help you find yours you will need to provide us with one of the following sources of information: – Parcel Grid No. – 911 address – Owner of record


What are my setback requirements?

 Depends on the zone you are in. (Chapter 240-28)


 Do I need a permit for a shed?  

If a shed (without electricity) is no larger than 120 square feet and height, width and length of no more than 12’, a permit is not required and the shed can be placed as close as 5’ from the side and rear yard property lines. (Chapter 240-47)


Can I subdivide my property? 

Only if you have enough property to create lots which will meet all the minimum bulk regulations (Chapter 240-28)


Can I change my zone? 

Re-zoning is requested specifically to the Town Board. It requires extensive review for compatibility with the Master Plan


Does the Town have a survey of my property? 

It depends. There will be a survey if a house has been recently built. For older homes we will have a survey if the homeowner has provided one to us


What is the procedure for obtaining a Variance?

Apply for a building permit, Receive a denial letter from the Code Enforcement Officer, Fill out the Variance application form and submit with fee. The Town posts ZBA agendas in the Poughkeepsie Journal and notifies all property owners within 150’ of affected property for an area variance and within 500’ for a use variance Attend ZBA meetings for discussion and public hearing, ZBA makes a decision.


What is an Area Variance? 

An Area Variance is seeking relief from the dimensional requirements required by the zoning ordinance.


What is a Use Variance? 

A Use Variance is seeking relief from uses that are not permitted by zoning.


Do I need a permit to erect a fence? 

No. There are also no setback requirements for a fence. However, The fence shall be on the owner’s property Fence must not exceed 6 feet in height above the adjoining grade


Do I need a permit to run a business out of my house? 

Only if what is proposed meets the definition of a “Home Occupation” (Chapter 240-54)


Why wasn’t I notified that my neighbor is building a house, pool, deck, etc.? 

No notification is made unless the proposed structure requires a Variance or a Special Use Permit in which case abutting and adjacent property owners are notified prior to a Public Hearing on the matter. You may wish to view this website monthly for agendas for both the Zoning Board of Appeals and the Planning Board for more information.

Sarah Davis