The Town Clerk’s office is the repository for official Town records which date back to 1883. I am pleased to assist you with dog licenses, hunting & fishing licenses, marriage licenses, birth, marriage and death transcripts, genealogical searches, handicap parking permits, FOIL requests, voter registration forms, absentee ballots and notary services.  (Please note:  Availability of Notary Public services varies.  Please call the Town Clerk Office at 845-452-1830 x100 or x102 to ensure a Notary is available.)


This easy to dial 2-1-1 number is a free and confidential helpline that easily links people to the services they need. Available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, people can call about everything from basic needs like food, clothing and shelter, to volunteer opportunities, legal services, drug treatment, employment support, childcare, eldercare and more.

To be directed to the New York State Department of State website for information on how to obtain an Apostille-Authentication of Public Documents and/ or to Request an Application please click here  

A Certified Copy or a Certified Transcript of a birth certificate may be issued only:

  • To a person with a New York State Court Order 
  • To the person named on the birth certificate, if 18 years of age or older 
  • To the parents of the person named on the birth certificate
  • To the lawful representative of the person named or the parents of the person named on the birth certificate. 
  • To the Commissioner of Health 
  • To a municipal, state or federal agency when needed for official purposes. 

Download: Application to Local Registrar for Copy of Birth Record (.pdf) 


A Certification of birth may be issued:

  • To the person named on the birth certificate; if under 18 years of age 
  • To a person over 18 years of age, if a certification is what they prefer 
  • To a person who can demonstrate the record is required for a Judicial or other proper purpose. 

To obtain a Certified Copy or Certification, you will need:

  • A completed DOH-296A (Application to Local Registrar for Copy of Birth Record) 
  • Proper government issued photo identification 
  • $10.00 cash or check, payable to Town of LaGrange 
  • If requested by mail, the applicant should also write a brief request for the copy with a notarized signature. 

Applications can be processed after the submission of the required forms.

Download Forms:

  • Hunting and Fishing licenses can be purchased at the Town Clerk’s Office. 
  • Cash or check, payable to the Town of LaGrange. 
  • Do not heat laminate your license panels as the heat will turn the entire panel pitch black. 
  • With the new Junior Hunter Mentoring Program, 14 and 15 year olds can now hunt deer and bear with a firearm. Make sure to fill out the required permission form and read the FAQ’s on the DEC Website at 
  • Department of Environmental Conservation link to Education Services

Licenses for people with disabilities:

For mobility-impaired people 
Obtain a Permit for Motor Vehicle Access for People with Disabilities 518-457-7433

Military service members with 40% disability

  • Eligible for $5.00 license 
  • Obtain verifying letter from VA annually 
  • Also receive DMP preference 

To shoot firearms from vehicle

  • Obtain a Non-Ambulatory Hunter Permit 518-457-0689 

To shoot bow equipped with an attachment to hold it drawn

  • Obtain a Handicapped Archer Permit 518-457-0689 

To use a mouth-triggered crossbow

  • Obtain a modified Crossbow Permit 518-457-0689 

For wheelchair access sites, obtain the brochure Opening the Outdoors to People with Disabilities 518-457-1935

Every dog, regardless of age, owned or harbored in New York State for longer than 30 days must be licensed in the town, city, or village where the dog is being harbored. 

The following are the only license exemptions:

  • Dogs under four months – If the dog is under four months of age and not running-at-large (off the owner’s premises) 
  • Non-resident dogs – If a non-resident brings a dog into New York State for less than 30 days and the dog is licensed according to the resident state’s licensing laws
    Dogs confined to a premise – Dogs confined to the premises of any public or private hospital, research institution or a Class A Dealer with a certificate of exemption from the Commissioner
  • You may license your dog in person at the Town Clerk’s office or by mail. A serialized tag, which must be attached to the dog collar, will be issued upon licensing. Licenses are issued for one year 

To be issued an original or a renewal license, you will need to provide:

  • a spay/neuter certificate if applicable 
  • proof of current rabies vaccination 
  • check or cash for the appropriate fee ($9.00 spayed or neutered, $17.00 unspayed or unneutered)

    *There is no fee for guide dogs, war dogs, hearing dogs, police work dogs or service dogs* 

By Mail

  • Please include a self-addressed, stamped envelope
  • Rabies Vaccination Certificate
  • Check for the appropriate fee made out to: Town of LaGrange

In Person

  • Bring in your dog’s rabies vaccination certificate 
  • Bring in cash or check for the appropriate amount



A Certified Copy or a Certified Transcript of a death certificate may be issued:

  1. To a person with a New York State Court Order issued on a showing of necessity 
  2. To the spouse, parent or child of the deceased 
  3. To the lawful representative of the spouse, parent or child of the deceased 
  4. To a person requiring the record for a documented legal right or claim 
  5. To a person requiring the record for a documented medical need 
  6. To a municipal, state or federal agency when needed for official purposes 

Those falling into categories 1, 4 or 5 will not physically possess the record. The record will be sent from the Town Clerk’s Office directly to the agency requiring the record.


To request a search and certified copies:

  • Applicant will fill out the DOH-294A (Application to Local Registrar for Copy of Death Record). For records of deaths that occurred after 1/1/1988, the applicant will need to specify whether he or she is requesting the copies with or without the confidential cause of death. 
  • Applicant will need to provide a current government issued photo ID 
  • The fee for certified copies of death certificates is $10.00 per copy. Make checks payable to Town of LaGrange 
  • If requested by mail, the applicant should also write a brief request for the copy which should be notarized


Download: Application for Copy of Death Certificate (.pdf)

An application for a permit to film must be submitted to the Town Clerk prior to filming.

Application for Filming permit

Town of LaGrange NY Film and Video Procedures:

   Filming on Private Property

   Filming on Town Property

The Freedom of Information Law pertains to the public’s right to government records. You may have access to information by review or copies. Copies are $.25 per page letter size, $.50 per page legal size and $1.00 per page map size 8 1/2 x 14.

Detailed information can be found on the following website:


No FOIL Application is necessary to view a property file. Download the Application and submit directly to the Building Department.

Birth, Death and Marriage records are available for genealogical search as far back as 1883.The Registrar of Vital Statistics can provide uncertified copies of the following records for genealogy research purposes:

  • Birth Certificates – must be on file for at least 75 years and the person whose name on the birth certificate must be known to be deceased. 
  • Death Certificates – must be on file for at least 50 years. 
  • Marriage Certificates – must be on file for at least 50 years and the bride and groom are both known to be deceased. 

The time periods are waived for direct-line descendants. A direct line descendant is a person in the direct line of descent, i.e., the child, grandchild, great grandchild of the person whose record is requested. The direct-line descendant applicant must provide the following:

  • Proof of their relationship to the person whose record they are requesting. 
  • Proof of the death of the person whose birth certificate they are requesting. 
  • Proof of the death of the bride and groom whose marriage certificate they are requesting. 
  • The standard fee for a genealogy copy is $22.00 and applies separately for each record requested. Send the completed form, along with a check for the appropriate amount, made payable to “Town of LaGrange”, to the address below. 

Download: General Information and Application for Genealogical Services (.pdf)

Handicapped Parking Permit issuing agents are only authorized to issue permits to residents of that agent’s municipality. Applicants will be required to prove identity and residency. Examples of acceptable proofs of residency are:

  • New York State Driver’s License or Non-Driver’s ID card 
  • Utility Bill 
  • Property Tax Bill or Receipt 
  • W-2 
  • Letter from Landlord or Residential Care Provider


Any NYS resident that qualifies as a “severely disabled person” is eligible for a statewide parking permit. This includes children and elderly people that don’t drive or own a vehicle. Parents or guardians may apply on behalf of a disabled dependent. A State facility or agency may apply for a permit for each vehicle it uses primarily to transport disabled persons. State agencies must submit the request for a permit on the agency’s letterhead. The request is to include the following:

  • Describe the facility or agency 
  • Explain how it serves individuals with disabilities 
  • List the plate numbers and year and make of the vehicles in which the permits will be used 
  • Include a copy of the agency or facility license or authority to operate 

Types of Permit

  • Temporary Permits are issued to people that have a temporary disability 
  • The maximum duration for a temporary permit is 6 months. This permit will also be issued to any visitors from another country who are disabled and traveling in New York State. 
  • Permanent Permits are issued only to applicants diagnosed as a “severely disabled person” and have proper documentation stating such. 
  • Medical Certification Requirements 

Applicants can obtain the standard “Application for a Parking Permit or License Plates, for Persons with Severe Disabilities” form (MV-664.1) from the Clerk’s office or download the application here. The applicant can fill out Part 1. The address should be a physical address, not a P.O. BOX. The doctor needs to fill out Part 2 completely. Part 3 will be filled out by the Town Clerk or Deputy Town Clerk.

Download: Handicap Parking Permit Application (.pdf)


Handicapped Parking Permit Renewals

Prior to the expiration of your current permit, you should make arrangements for the renewal of your permit. Bring your expired placard to the Town Clerk’s office along with a copy of your NYSDL

Denial or Revocation of Permits 

New York State Vehicle and Traffic Law authorizes issuing agents to deny an applicant a permit or to revoke an issued permit if he or she feels there is evidence of abuse. If a permit holder is notified that the permit has been revoked, he or she must return the permit to the issuing agent. If the permit is not returned by the specified date, local law enforcement personnel will be contacted to confiscate the permit.


Visit the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles website at for more information

“Making a false statement, or providing misinformation on an application to obtain or facilitate the receipt of a parking permit or license plates for persons with a disability is subject to fines ranging from $250 to $1,000 under Section 1203-a(4) of the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law and is punishable as a misdemeanor under Section 210.45 of the NYS Penal Law.”

Public Health Law 4101 Charges the local Registrar with the enforcement of complete and accurate vital statistics registration. Therefore, before a home birth is registered, the local registrar must determine when, where and to whom the child was born.


Parents will be asked to provide positive identification, proof of residency, and supporting documentation from a prenatal or postnatal health care provider, the Department of Social Services or other government agency familiar with the family and the mother’s pregnancy. The local registrar may require that the parents and child personally appear at the registrar’s office.


In the case that the mother is not married, the putative father’s name may be entered on the birth certificate only if he and the mother submit a correctly executed Acknowledgement of Paternity (DOH-3732/DSS-4418). In accordance with Public Health Law 4130(2), a Certificate of Live Birth is to be filed with the local Registrar within five days of the date of birth. If more than one year has elapsed since the birth of the child, the registrar will process the birth as a “Delayed Birth”.


A couple who intends to be married in New York State must apply in person for a Marriage License to any Town or City Clerk in the State. The Marriage can take place anywhere within New York State. Your marriage license is not valid outside of New York State. The application for a license must be signed by both of the applicants in the presence of the Town or City clerk. No premarital examination or blood test is required to obtain a Marriage License in New York State. There is a 24 hour waiting period during which the ceremony cannot take place. The 24-hour waiting period may be waived by an order of a Justice of the Supreme Court or a Judge of the County Court of the County in which either party resides.  A marriage license is valid for 60 days, beginning the day after it is issued. The expiration date for active duty members of the Armed Forces can be extended to 180 days. There is a fee of $40.00. Cash or check is accepted. Marriage Licenses are by APPOINTMENT ONLY.

Required Identification

An original birth certificate, baptismal certificate or a certified copy or transcript with a raised or colored seal is required. It must also be professionally translated if it is not in English. A second form of identification may include any of the following:

  • Driver’s License 
  • Passport 
  • Employment or picture ID 
  • Immigration record 

Previous Marriages

Both of the applicants are required to show proof of any previous divorces. The divorce paperwork must be an original or certified copy and contain the “Judgment of Divorce” section. A certified copy of the death certificate is required when a former spouse is deceased.

Officiants who perform Civil Ceremonies:

Justice Stephen O’Hare, 845-452-4108
Justice Susan Sullivan-Bisceglia, 845-463-2118

Copies of Marriage Licenses and Certified Transcripts

The bride, groom, legal representative or anyone who can demonstrate a legal claim can obtain a certified copy. 


If the applicant is not the bride or groom, a judicial or other proper purpose must be documented. An example of a judicial or other proper purpose would be a marriage record needed by the applicant to claim a benefit. Documentation would consist of an official letter from the agency verifying that to process the claim they require from the applicant a copy of the requested marriage record.

Applicants will need to fill out the DOH-301 (Application to Town Clerk for Copy of Marriage Record). Current government issued photo ID is required. Copies are $10.00, and can be paid by cash or check. Checks should be made payable to Town of LaGrange. When applying for a copy by mail, the applicant must include a written notarized request along with the application form.

Download: Application to Town/City Clerk for Copy of Marriage Record (.pdf)

Mail-in Vital Record Transcript Affidavit (.pdf)

One – Day Officiant License

LaGrange Library is proud to have been designated a Passport Acceptance Facility by the Department of State. Click HERE for information on service hours, making appointments, new applications, renewals, fees, photos and what to bring.


A passport facility is located at the Pleasant Valley Post Office, 1612 Main Street (Rte.44) 845-635-8932 and at the office of the Dutchess County Clerk, 22 Market Street, Poughkeepsie, NY 845-486-2120.


Customers can visit the U.S. Department of State web site at for information, downloadable application forms, fees and current requirements. Travel information pertinent to passport regulations and consular information is also available at the site.

Application for a hawking and peddling license and the Certificate of Attestation of Exemption (CE-200) shall be submitted in writing along with any supporting documentation. Upon Town Board approval of the application and receipt of the required fee, the Clerk’s office will issue the license which is valid for one (1) year.

Fireworks & Sparkling Devices

Sale of fireworks and sparkling devices is temporary and permitted between June 20 and July 5.  
Fireworks And Sparking Application

If you wish to hold an event in the Town of LaGrange please submit an application to the Clerk’s Office and allow five (5) business days for review.

Download: Application for Special Event 

Download forms for voter registration and absentee ballots by logging onto the Dutchess County Board of Elections website: or by calling 1-800-FOR-VOTE.