Town Clerk

                                      The Town Clerk's Office Will be CLOSED for Lunch 1-2 p.m. Daily


The Town Clerk’s office is the repository for official Town records which date back to 1883. I am pleased to assist you with dog licenses, hunting & fishing licenses, marriage licenses, birth, marriage and death transcripts, genealogical searches, handicap parking permits, FOIL requests, voter registration forms, absentee ballots and notary services.

Charitable Gaming
Applications can be processed after the submission of the required forms.

Download Forms:

FOIL Information:

The Freedom of Information Law pertains to the public’s right to government records. You may have access to information by review or copies. Copies are $.25 per page letter size, $.50 per page legal size and $1.00 per page map size 8 1/2 x 14.

Detailed information can be found on the following website:

No FOIL Application is necessary to view a property file; Download the Application and submit directly to the Building Department

Passport Information

LaGrange Library is proud to have been designated a Passport Acceptance Facility by the Department of State. Click HERE for information
service hours, making appointments, new applications, renewals, fees, photos and what to bring.

A passport facility is located at the Pleasant Valley Post Office, 1612 Main Street (Rte.44) 845-635-8932 and at the office of the Dutchess County Clerk, 22 Market Street, Poughkeepsie, NY 845-486-2120.

Customers can visit the U.S. Department of State web site at for information, downloadable application forms, fees and current requirements. Travel information pertinent to passport regulations and consular information is also available at the site.

Voter Registration & Absentee Ballots

Download forms for voter registration and absentee ballots by logging onto the Dutchess County Board of Elections website: or by calling 1-800-FOR-VOTE.

 211 Information

This easy to dial 2-1-1 number is a free and confidential helpline that easily links people to the services they need. Available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, people can call about everything from basic needs like food, clothing and shelter, to volunteer opportunities, legal services, drug treatment, employment support, childcare, eldercare and more.

Peddling and Soliciting License

Application for a hawking and peddling license shall be submitted in writing along with any supporting documentation. Upon Town Board approval of the application and receipt of the required fee, the Clerk's office will issue the license which is valid for one (1) year.

Dog Licensing

Every dog, regardless of age, owned or harbored in New York State for longer than 30 days must be licensed in the town, city or village where the dog is being harbored. 

The following are the only license exemptions:

To be issued an original or a renewal license, you will need to provide:

By Mail

In Person

Download: Dog License Form (.pdf)

Conservation Licenses

Licenses for people with disabilities:

For mobility-impaired people 
Obtain a Permit for Motor Vehicle Access for People with Disabilities 518-457-7433

Military service members with 40% disability

To shoot firearms from vehicle

To shoot bow equipped with an attachment to hold it drawn

To use a mouth-triggered crossbow

For wheelchair access sites, obtain the brochure Opening the Outdoors to People with Disabilities 518-457-1935

Genealogical Searches

Birth, Death and Marriage records are available for genealogical search as far back as 1883.The Registrar of Vital Statistics can provide uncertified copies of the following records for genealogy research purposes:

The time periods are waived for direct-line descendants. A direct line descendant is a person in the direct line of descent, i.e., the child, grandchild, great grandchild of the person whose record is requested. The direct-line descendant applicant must provide the following:

Download: General Information and Application for Genealogical Services (.pdf)

Marriage Licenses


A couple who intends to be married in New York State must apply in person for a Marriage License to any Town or City Clerk in the State. The Marriage can take place anywhere within New York State. Your marriage license is not valid outside of New York State. The application for a license must be signed by both of the applicants in the presence of the Town or City clerk. No premarital examination or blood test is required to obtain a Marriage License in New York State. There is a 24 hour waiting period during which the ceremony cannot take place. When both of the applicants are over the age of 16, the 24-hour waiting period may be waived by an order of a Justice of the Supreme Court or a Judge of the County Court of the County in which either party resides. If either person is under the age of 16, the order must be from the Family Court judge of the County in which the person under 16 years of age resides. A marriage license is valid for 60 days, beginning the day after it is issued. The expiration date for active duty members of the Armed Forces can be extended to 180 days. There is a fee of $40.00. Cash or check is accepted. Marriage Licenses are by APPOINTMENT ONLY.

Required Identification

An original birth certificate, baptismal certificate or a certified copy or transcript with a raised or colored seal is required. It must also be professionally translated if it is not in English. A second form of identification may include any of the following:

Previous Marriages

Both of the applicants are required to show proof of any previous divorces. The divorce paperwork must be an original or certified copy and contain the “Judgment of Divorce” section. A certified copy of the death certificate is required when a former spouse is deceased.

For more information: NYS Department of Health Vital Records

Officiants who perform Civil Ceremonies:

(virtual ceremonies available)

Justice Stephen O'Hare, 845-452-4108
Justice Susan Sullivan-Bisceglia, 845-463-2118

Copies of Marriage Licenses and Certified Transcripts

The bride, groom, legal representative or anyone who can demonstrate a legal claim can obtain a certified copy. 

If the applicant is not the bride or groom, a judicial or other proper purpose must be documented. An example of a judicial or other proper purpose would be a marriage record needed by the applicant to claim a benefit. Documentation would consist of an official letter from the agency verifying that to process the claim they require from the applicant a copy of the requested marriage record.

Applicants will need to fill out the DOH-301 (Application to Town Clerk for Copy of Marriage Record). Current government issued photo ID is required. Copies are $10.00, and can be paid by cash or check. Checks should be made payable to Town of LaGrange. When applying for as copy by mail, the applicant should include a written notarized request along with the application form.

Download: Application to Town/City Clerk for Copy of Marriage Record (.pdf)

Home Births

Public Health Law 4101 Charges the local Registrar with the enforcement of complete and accurate vital statistics registration. Therefore, before a home birth is registered, the local registrar must determine when, where and to whom the child was born.

Parents will be asked to provide positive identification, proof of residency, and supporting documentation from a prenatal or postnatal health care provider, the Department of Social Services or other government agency familiar with the family and the mother’s pregnancy. The local registrar may require that the parents and child personally appear at the registrar’s office.

In the case that the mother is not married, the putative father’s name may be entered on the birth certificate only if he and the mother submit a correctly executed Acknowledgement of Paternity (DOH-3732/DSS-4418). In accordance with Public Health Law 4130(2), a Certificate of Live Birth is to be filed with the local Registrar within five days of the date of birth. If more than one year has elapsed since the birth of the child, the registrar will process the birth as a “Delayed Birth”.

Copies of Birth Certificates

A Certified Copy or a Certified Transcript of a birth certificate may be issued only:

Download: Application to Local Registrar for Copy of Birth Record (.pdf) 

A Certification of birth may be issued:

To obtain a Certified Copy or Certification, you will need:

Copies of Death Certificates

A Certified Copy or a Certified Transcript of a death certificate may be issued:

  1. To a person with a New York State Court Order issued on a showing of necessity
  2. To the spouse, parent or child of the deceased
  3. To the lawful representative of the spouse, parent or child of the deceased
  4. To a person requiring the record for a documented legal right or claim
  5. To a person requiring the record for a documented medical need
  6. To a municipal, state or federal agency when needed for official purposes

Those falling into categories 1, 4 or 5 will not physically possess the record. The record will be sent from the Town Clerk’s Office directly to the agency requiring the record.

To request a search and certified copies:

Download: Application for Copy of Death Certificate (.pdf)

Special Events

If you wish to hold an event in the Town of LaGrange please submit an application to the Clerk's Office and allow five (5) business days for review.

Download: Application for Special Event 

Handicapped Permits

Handicapped Parking Permit issuing agents are only authorized to issue permits to residents of that agent’s municipality. Applicants will be required to prove identity and residency. Examples of acceptable proofs of residency are:


Any NYS resident that qualifies as a “severely disabled person” is eligible for a statewide parking permit. This includes children and elderly people that don’t drive or own a vehicle. Parents or guardians may apply on behalf of a disabled dependant. A State facility or agency may apply for a permit for each vehicle it uses primarily to transport disabled persons. State agencies must submit the request for a permit on the agency's letterhead. The request is to include the following:

Types of Permit

Applicants can obtain the standard “Application for a Parking Permit or License Plates, for Persons with Severe Disabilities” form (MV-664.1) from the Clerk’s office or download the application here. The applicant can fill out Part 1. The address should be a physical address, not a P.O. BOX. The doctor needs to fill out Part 2 completely. Part 3 will be filled out by the Town Clerk or Deputy Town Clerk.

Download: Handicap Parking Permit Application (.pdf)

Handicapped Parking Permit Renewals

Prior to the expiration of your current permit, you should make arrangements for the renewal of your permit. The procedure for renewing a Handicapped Parking Permit is the same as the procedure followed for the original permit.


Denial or Revocation of Permits

New York State Vehicle and Traffic Law authorizes issuing agents to deny an applicant a permit or to revoke an issued permit if he or she feels there is evidence of abuse. If a permit holder is notified that the permit has been revoked, he or she must return the permit to the issuing agent. If the permit is not returned by the specified date, local law enforcement personnel will be contacted to confiscate the permit.

Visit the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles website at for more information

“Making a false statement, or providing misinformation on an application to obtain or facilitate the receipt of a parking permit or license plates for persons with a disability is subject to fines ranging from $250 to $1,000 under Section 1203-a(4) of the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law and is punishable as a misdemeanor under Section 210.45 of the NYS Penal Law.”


To be directed to the New York State Department of State website for information on how to obtain an Apostille-Authentication of Public Documents and/ or to Request an Application please click here  


Fireworks & Sparkling Devices

Sale of fireworks and sparkling devices is tempory and permitted between June 20 and July 5.  For an application click here


Town of LaGrange, New York

Town Hall
120 Stringham Road
LaGrangeville, NY 12540

Hours: Monday thru Friday 8:30am - 4:00pm

Closed for lunch from 1 p.m. - 2 p.m. daily

Phone:   845-452-1830
Fax:   845-452-2289

Christine O'Reilly-Rao - Town Clerk ext. 100
Elizabeth O'Hare - Deputy Clerk ext. 102

Home | Site Map | Forms | Government | Supervisor | Emergency | Calendar

Be a part of our dynamic community. Explore our rich history & culture


Facebook icon   Mail