Building, Zoning and Fire Prevention Department


The Building, Zoning & Fire Prevention Department is responsible for the oversite of Building Construction & Development in the Town of LaGrange to insure compliance with Federal, State, and Local Codes regulating land use as set forth by the Town Board. Because the process of working with the Building, Zoning and Fire Prevention Department can be complex, please do not hesitate to call us with any questions or concerns. We will be happy to assist you.

Building           Zoning           Fire Prevention           Records

The following contact and technical information is provided for your convenience:

Office of the Building Inspector

The Building Code is intended to provide minimum requirements to safeguard public safety, health and general welfare through structural strength, means of egress facilities, stability, sanitation, adequate light and ventilation, energy conservation and safety to life and property from fire and other hazards attributed to the built environment.

Secretary to the Building Inspector, Savona Roberts, may be reached at 845-452-1830 ext 114
Building Inspector, Ken McLaughlin

Take Notice:

Image of a housePermits Required:

The code of the Town of LaGrange Law Chapter 83-7 “Building Permits” requires that any work which shall require conforming to the Uniform Code and/or the Energy Code of New York State shall not commence with the erection, construction, enlargement, alteration, removal, improvement, demolition, conversion or change in the nature of the occupancy of any building or structure or cause the occupancy of any building or structure without a resident obtaining a separate building permit from the Office of Building Inspector for each such building or structure.

Workmen's Compensation Insurance:

Worker's compensation insurance is required for all building permits with exceptions as provided by the NYS Worker's Compensation Board. Accord forms are not an acceptable proof of workmen's compensation insurance. Workman's compensation insurance forms may be obtained Here.

The following is a list of specific permits required by the Town of LaGrange: (click on the name below to download the permit package in PDF Format)

Fees: Please contact the Building & Zoning Department for all Current Permit Fees at 845-452-1830

Residential: (Please note that if you ARE NOT the Owner when applying for a permit, you MUST FILE the Owner's Endorsement Form.)

Commercial: (Please note that if you ARE NOT the Owner when applying for a permit, you MUST FILE the Owner's Endorsement Form.)

Other Permits:

The following permits may be necessary to obtain a building permit for new construction, specifically new single family residences and new commercial buildings and structures. For your convenience, these permits are provided below.

Please be advised that these permits are regulated by other agencies within the Town of LaGrange.

Secretary to the Administrator of Planning and Public Works, Wanda Livigni, is Dwayne Hicks, and may be reached at 845-452-8562 Email:


The Highway Superintendent, Mike Kelly, may be contacted at 845-452-2720.

The following is a list of forms for permits required by the Highway Superintendent:

Construction Inspections Required

Work shall remain accessible and exposed until inspected and accepted by the Building Inspector or by an inspector authorized by the Building Inspector. The permit holder shall notify the Building Inspector when any element of work under §83-8B is ready for inspection.

The following elements of the construction process shall be inspected, where applicable:

Certificate of Occupancy Required

A certificate of occupancy shall be required for any work which is the subject of a building permit which is for structures or portions thereof to be occupied by persons and for all structures, buildings or portions thereof which are converted from one use or occupancy classification or sub-classification to another. Permission to use or occupy a building or structure, or portion thereof, for which a building permit was previously issued shall be granted only by issuance of a certificate of occupancy.

Certificates of compliance shall be required for all work which is subject to a building permit but which is not for structures or portions thereof to be occupied by persons such as for mechanical installations and the construction of sheds.

The following is a list of specific forms for certificates of occupancy and compliance:

Property and Building Records

File cabinetThe building office keeps and maintains the property and building records for all parcels of land located within the Town of LaGrange.


Municipal Record Search- contact Joanna Jackson at 845-452-1830 ext 122.

Below is the form to request a municipal record search:

Municipal record searches (.pdf)

Property records may contain any or all of the following information and documents:

Office of Zoning Administration & Enforcement

The intent of Zoning is to establish controls for the development of land in the Town in order to promote and protect health, safety, comfort, convenience, and the general welfare of the residents of the Town of LaGrange.

Zoning Board of Appeals Secretary, Regina Crawford, may be reached at 845-452-1830 ext 115 or
Deputy Zoning Administrator, Justin Noyes, may be reached at 845-452-1830 ext 136.

Zoning Services:

Below is a list of the documents & information provided by this office:


For review of a proposed use to a residential or commercial property, a Statement of Use is required:

Permits Required

In some instances these permits may require Planning Board action:

Speicial Permits: 

Required for Building Permits


Zoning Complaints

Zoning complaints should be directed to Justin Noyes, Deputy Zoning Administrator at 845-452-1830 ext. 136.

Procedure for Handling Complaints

Once a complaint has been received, the Deputy Zoning Administrator:

Although all complaints are handled in a timely manner, those that involve life safety are given the utmost priority. It is not the policy of the town to release complainants’ names unless a prosecution is required to resolve the issue.

Commonly Asked Zoning Questions:

What zoning district am I in? There are various residential and commercial zones. To help you find yours you will need to provide us with one of the following sources of information: - Parcel Grid No. – 911 address - Owner of record

What are my setback requirements? Depends on the zone you are in. (Chapter 240-28)

 Do I need a permit for a shed?  If a shed (without electricity) is no larger than 120 square feet and height, width and length of no more than 12’, a permit is not required and the shed can be placed as close as 5’ from the side and rear yard property lines. (Chapter 240-47)

Can I subdivide my property? Only if you have enough property to create lots which will meet all the minimum bulk regulations (Chapter 240-28)

Can I change my zone? Re-zoning is requested specifically to the Town Board. It requires extensive review for compatibility with the Master Plan

Does the Town have a survey of my property? It depends. There will be a survey if a house has been recently built. For older homes we will have a survey if the homeowner has provided one to us

What is the procedure for obtaining a Variance? Apply for a building permit, Receive a denial letter from the Code Enforcement Officer, Fill out Variance application form and submit with fee. The Town posts ZBA agendas in the Poughkeepsie Journal and notifies all property owners within 150’ of affected property for an area variance and within 500’ for a use variance Attend ZBA meeting for discussion and public hearing, ZBA makes decision

What is an Area Variance? An Area Variance is seeking relief from the dimensional requirements required by the zoning ordinance.

What is a Use Variance? A Use Variance is seeking relief from uses that are not permitted by zoning

Do I need a permit to erect a fence? No. There are also no setback requirements for a fence. However, The fence shall be on the owner’s property Fence must not exceed 6 feet in height above the adjoining grade

Do I need a permit to run a business out of my house? Only if what is proposed meets the definition of a “Home Occupation” (Chapter 240-54)

Why wasn’t I notified that my neighbor is building a house, pool, deck, etc.? No notification is made unless the proposed structure requires a Variance or a Special Use Permit in which case abutting and adjacent property owners are notified prior to a Public Hearing on the matter. You may wish to view this website monthly for agendas for both the Zoning Board of Appeals and the Planning Board for more information.

Office of Fire Prevention

The purpose of the Fire Code is to establish the minimum requirements consistent with nationally recognized good practice for providing a reasonable level of life safety and property protection from the hazards of fire, explosion or dangerous conditions in new and existing buildings, structures and premises.

Fire Prevention Services:

.pdf format, Adobe Reader required (free download):

Town of LaGrange, New York

Town Hall - Lower Level
120 Stringham Road
LaGrangeville, NY 12540

Hours: Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. - 3:45 p.m.

845-452-1830 ext 114 (Building & Construction Development)
845-452-1830 ext 115 (Zoning Board Secretary)
845-452-1830 ext 120 (Fire Prevention & Enforcement)
845-452-1830 ext 136 (Zoning Administration & Code Enforcement)
845-452-1830 ext 122 (Property & Building Records)

Fax:   845-452-7692

Kenneth McLaughlin - Bldg & Fire Inspector / Zoning Administration
Savona V. Roberts - Secretary to the Building Inspector
Regina Crawford - Zoning Board of Appeals Secretary & Municipal Searches Clerk
Joanna Jackson- Senior Clerk
Jessica Martinez, Senior Clerk
Justin Noyes, Deputy Zoning Administrator
                  , Municipal Code Enforcement Inspector

Home | Site Map | Forms | Government | Supervisor | Emergency | Calendar

Be a part of our dynamic community. Explore our rich history & culture


Facebook icon   Mail